25 July 2024

Day 8: The Trip Home

Last Day: The Trip Home

Thursday, July 25, 2024


It's been a good visit and I'm really glad I came, but I'm ready to go home.

I packed the dulce de leche candy in my bag so I'm having tea instead of coffee this morning. Someone put the soncoya at my place at the table because we hadn't gotten around to eating it yet. There were also three of something that Nancy picked up in one of the communities. She saw people eating them and thought I should add it to my fruit tasting. They look kind of like green hickory nuts. They are called mamones.

Blanca cut open the soncoya with a knife. It was not ripe at all so we didn't eat it.

The mamones were opened kind of like the lyches. You put your thumbnails together and pry the rind apart. The inside was more peach-colored than white. It was tasty...juicy and sweet/tart. And almost all pit.
The opened mamon with the pit after I'd sucked off the flesh

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with onion, beans and a pancake with honey. I also had a novio.

 When Alfredo arrived with the bus, it was time to load up our bags, say goodbye and head to the airport. Kathy is staying behind because there is another delegation coming in a few days. I sat up front with Alfredo. We pretty much gabbed all the way to the airport. He is so patient with my Spanish and very good about checking to see if I understand a word he used. If I don't, he explains it another way until I do. I feel like my Spanish got exponentially better just on the ride to the airport. He even commented on how much better my Spanish has gotten. When we got to the airport he hugged all of us goodby and I told him I'd really enjoyed our conversation. He said he did too.

It was a wonderful end to the trip!